The ROP Enhancement project has transitioned to normal work management practices. Staff recommendations in SECY-19-0067 are before the NRC Commission for direction (Phase 1). Other ongoing activities (Phase 2) and future activities noted on this web page will be accomplished using the normal ROP self-assessment process.
The Reactor Oversight Process (ROP) Enhancement 2020 effort will improve the NRC's ability to accomplish its safety mission by focusing inspection activities and resources on areas of greater safety significance. The ROP enhancements will refine this highly effective program using more than 20 years of operational experience.
The NRC needs to direct its limited resources effectively. The ROP Enhancement effort focuses resources in areas of greater safety significance.
NRC inspectors' time is best spent in areas more important to safety. The ROP Enhancement effort covers these areas through refining the baseline inspection program and inspectors' ability to quickly address emerging issues.
The ROP Enhancement effort is reviewing agency policies to see where the NRC can increase nuclear plant operators' incentive to promptly resolve inspection findings.
Notifications to the Commission
- Removed inspections covered by other federal entities
- Improved descriptions for White and Yellow inspection ﬁndings
Commission Vote Pending (SECY-19-0067)
- Close greater-than-Green inspection findings and performance indicators after follow-up inspection objectives are met
- Reduce baseline inspection redundancy, focusing on safety significant issues
- Better use risk insights in emergency preparedness planning standards
Expected Notifications to the Commission
- Changes to radiation protection inspections, focusing on safety significant areas, with added guidance for protection of non-fuel radioactive material at nuclear power plants.
- Enhance spent fuel inspections through qualification requirements, inspection basis documents, and refined focus on safety significant activities.
Commission Vote Likely Required
- Cross-Cutting Issues (CCI) Modifications
- Emergency Preparedness SDP Changes
- Problem Identification and Resolution Program Changes
Page Last Reviewed/Updated Wednesday, March 24, 2021