Flooding Reevaluations (ARCHIVED)
Note: This is an archived web page. For the most up-to-date information, see the new Post-Fukushima Safety Enhancements page.
Operating reactor sites are using present-day information to reevaluate the flooding effects—or hazards—that could impact their site. These newly reevaluated hazards, if worse than what the plant had originally calculated, will be analyzed to determine if plant structures, systems, and/or components need to be updated to protect against the new hazard. The NRC will review each step in the analysis process and take action to require plant changes as necessary.
- NRC Request for Information letter related to seismic, flooding and emergency preparedness (March 12, 2012)
- NRC prioritization of plants for completing flood hazard reevaluations (May 11, 2012)
- NRC-issued guidance for performing an integrated assessment for external flooding (JLD-ISG-2012-05) (November 30, 2012)
- NRC-issued guidance for performing a tsunami, surge, or seiche hazard assessment (JLD-ISG-2012-06) (January 4, 2013)
- NRC letter to industry describing when an integrated assessment is expected (December 3, 2012)
- NRC letter to industry with guidance on the content of flooding reevaluation submittals (March 1, 2013)
- NRC-issued guidance for assessing flooding hazards due to dam failure (JLD-ISG-2013-01) (July 29, 2013)
- NRC staff proposed plan to integrate flooding hazards and mitigation strategies (COMSECY-14-0037)
- Commission response to proposed plans (SRM-COMSECY-14-0037)
- NRC Staff Action Plan to implement the proposed plan (COMSECY-15-0019)
- Commission approval for implementation of NRC Staff Action Plan (SRM-COMSECY-15-0019)
- NEI 16-05, External Flooding Assessment Guidelines, Revision 1
- NRC-issued guidance for performing focused evaluations and integrated assessments (JLD-ISG-16-01)
For plant-specific documents, visit our Plant-Specific Japan Lessons-Learned Activities page.
Page Last Reviewed/Updated Monday, July 27, 2020