||Transitioning to SAFSTOR
Site Status Summary & Spent Fuel Status
The Duane Arnold Energy Center (DAEC) is a 1,912 MWt boiling water reactor that began operation in 1974 and is owned and operated by NextEra Energy Duane Arnold, LLC (NextEra). DAEC had stated its intention to permanently cease power operations in October 2020, but the reactor permanently shutdown on August 10, 2020, when a derecho (a land-based hurricane) damaged non-safety related portions of the plant, including the cooling towers.
By letter dated October 12, 2020, NextEra certified that all fuel had been removed from the reactor. NextEra submitted the DAEC Post-Shutdown Decommissioning Activities Report (PSDAR) to the NRC on April 2, 2020. A PSDAR public meeting was originally scheduled for July 28, 2020, but the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency (PHE) caused the original meeting to be cancelled. The PSDAR public meeting will be rescheduled once the PHE conditions allow for in person gatherings. In the PSDAR, NextEra stated its intention to move all of the spent nuclear fuel into dry cask storage and put the plant into SAFSTOR, starting full decommissioning of the facility in 2075.
Significant Decommissioning Licensing Documents
- Certification of Permanent Cessation of Power Operations – ML20240A067
- Certification of Permanent Removal of Fuel from the Reactor Vessel – ML20286A317
- Duane Arnold Post-Shutdown Decommissioning Activities Report (PSDAR) and Site-Specific Decommissioning Cost Estimate (DCE) – ML20094F603
- Defueled Technical Specifications Application and Supplements – ML19176A356, ML19261A141, and ML19308A085
- Defueled Technical Specifications Approval – ML20134J104
- Exemption Request to Use the Decommissioning Trust Fund (DTF) for Spent Fuel Management Costs – ML20056E054 and ML20153A371
- DTF Exemption Approval – ML20171A629 and ML20164A000
Major Technical or Regulatory Issues
Estimated Date for Closure