Exempt Distribution Licensee Toolkit
This toolkit has been designed to help licensees find key information easily.
On this page:
NRC's regulations are found in Chapter I of Title 10, "Energy," of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Chapter I is divided into Parts 1 through 199. The following sections within Parts 30, 32 and 40 set forth additional provisions regarding exempt distribution licensing and possession.
- Section 30.11 - Specific Exemptions
- Section 30.12 - Persons using byproduct material under certain Department of Energy and Nuclear Regulatory Commission contracts
- Section 30.13 - Carriers
- Section 30.14 – Exempt Concentrations
- Section 30.15 – Certain Items Containing Byproduct Material
- Section 30.18 – Exempt Quantities
- Section 30.19 – Self-luminous Products Containing Tritium, Krypton-85, or Promethium-147
- Section 30.20 – Gas and Aerosol Detectors Containing Byproduct Material
- Section 30.21 – Radioactive Drug: Capsules Containing Carbon-14 Urea for "in Vivo" Diagnostic Use for Humans
- Section 30.22 - Certain Industrial Devices
- Section 32.11 - Introduction of Byproduct Material in Exempt Concentrations into Products or Materials, and Transfer of Ownership or Possession: Requirements for License
- Section 32.14 - Certain Items Containing Byproduct Material; Requirements for License to Apply or In itially Transfer
- Section 32.18 - Manufacture, Distribution and Transfer of Exempt Quantities of Byproduct Material : Requirements for License
- Section 32.21 - Radioactive Drug : Manufacture, Preparation, or Transfer for Commercial Distribution of Capsules Containing Carbon-14 Urea Each for "in Vivo" Diagnostic Use for Humans to Persons Exempt from Licensing; Requirements for a License
- Section 32.22 - Self-Luminous Products Containing Tritium, Krvpton-85 or Promethium-147: Requirements for License to Manufacture, Process, Produce, or Initially Transfer
- Section 32.26 - Gas and Aerosol Detectors Containing Byproduct Material: Requirements for License to Manufacture, Process, Produce, or In itially Transfer
- Section 32.30 - Certain Industrial Devices Containing Byproduct Material: Requirements for License to Manufacture, Process, Produce, or Initially Transfer
- Section 40.13 - Unimportant quantities of source material
- Section 40.52 - Certain items containing source material; requirements for license to apply or initially transfer
Consolidated guidance is published in "Consolidated Guidance About Materials Licenses," NUREG-1556. The volumes most applicable to exempt distribution of nuclear material are—
- Volume 3, Application for Sealed Source and Device Evaluation and Registration
- Volume 8, Program-Specific Guidance About Exempt Distribution Licenses
Web (HTML) versions of some NUREG-series publications are available in our NUREG-Series Document Collection. Some are also available in ADAMS (see our table listing their availability).
Web (HTML) versions of some regulatory guides are available for viewing or downloading at this site. In the index for each division of guides, the number of each guide available at this site is underscored. All active final and draft guides are also available in NRC's Agencywide Documents Access and Management System (ADAMS).
Page Last Reviewed/Updated Friday, March 27, 2020