W24 What Can We Learn from Risk-Informed Licensing Initiatives?
This session will focus on the various regulations that are in place or under development to allow risk analysis to inform regulatory decisions. Perspectives from U.S. industry, the NRC, and the international community on the use of risk-information in the regulatory process will be discussed. Presentations will highlight lessons learned and recommendations for the future. The U.S. discussions will focus on the following topics: Risk-informing GSI-191 (PWR Sump Issue), 10 CFR 50.69 Pilot Review (Special Treatment Requirements), Risk-Informed Technical Specification Initiatives, and the use of risk information in new reactor licensing.
- Hossein Hamzehee, Branch Chief, Division of Risk Assessment, NRR/NRC tel: 301-415-0562, e-mail: Hossein.Hamzehee@nrc.gov
- Introductory Remarks and a Status of Risk-Informed Regulatory Reviews in NRR and Associated Challenges
Hossein Hamzehee, Branch Chief, Division of Risk Assessment, NRR/NRC
- Operational Decision Making Reflects Safety First: Prescribed Probabilistic vs. Systematic Probabilistic Decision Making
Amir Afzali, Risk-Informed Engineering Director, Southern Nuclear Company
- Moving Forward… Opportunities to Use Risk for New Reactors
Lynn A. Mrowca, Branch Chief, Division of Safety Systems and Risk Assessment, NRO/NRC
- Re-inventing Risk Informed Decision Making
Roy Linthicum, Chairman, Risk Management Subcommittee, Pressurized Water Reactor Owners Group
- Sara Lyons, Technical Assistant, Division of Risk Assessment, NRR/NRC tel: 301-415-2861, e-mail: Sara.Lyons@nrc.gov