Part 21 Report - 1997-063
ACCESSION #: 9703200381
February 26, 1997
SUBJECT: COUNTERFEIT SMB-1 WORM SHAFT GEAR
General Public Utilities experienced a clutching problem which was traced
to a loose clutch lug pin in the Worm Shaft gear. The component was
returned to Limitorque for comment.
LIMITORQUE EVALUATION REVEALED:
1. Worm Shaft gear counter bore staking operation to secure motor
clutch gear cam pin was omitted.. Serious violation.
2. Worm Shaft gear lugs were not heat treated. Serious violation.
3. Gear teeth were not shaved. Profile had significant error.
4. Variety of other non serious geometric violations.
1. Worm Shaft gear assembly was not manufactured by Limitorque
2. Worm Shaft gear assembly was inferior in design and manufacture
referenced to the same Limitorque components and was not
suitable for the intended application. The counterfeit
component would have experienced a short service life
terminating in failure with associated consequences depending
upon the criticality of the application.
Ivan E. Wilkinson, P.E., Ph.D
Director of Engineering
Limitorque Corporation P.O. Box 11318 5114 Woodall Road
Lynchburg, VA 24506-1318 Tel. (804) 528-4400 FAX (804) 845-9736
*** END OF DOCUMENT ***
Page Last Reviewed/Updated Friday, January 31, 2020