Generic EnvironmentalImpact Statement for License Renewal of Nuclear Plants: Seabrook Station — Final Report (NUREG-1437, Supplement 46)
On this page:
Download complete document
Manuscript Completed: July 2015
Date Published: July 2015
Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Washington, DC 20555-0001
This final supplemental environmental impact statement (SEIS) has been prepared in response to an application submitted by NextEra Energy Seabrook, LLC (NextEra) to renew the operating license for Seabrook Station (Seabrook) for an additional 20 years.
This final SEIS includes the analysis that evaluates the environmental impacts of the proposed action and alternatives to the proposed action. Alternatives considered include replacement power from new natural-gas-fired combined-cycle generation; new nuclear generation; a combination alternative that includes some natural-gas-fired capacity, and a wind-power component; and the no-action alternative of not renewing the license.
The NRC’s preliminary recommendation is that the adverse environmental impacts of license renewal for Seabrook are not great enough to deny the option of license renewal for energy-planning decision makers. This recommendation is based on the following:
- analysis and findings in the generic environmental impact statement (GEIS);
- the Environmental Report (ER) submitted by NextEra;
- consultation with Federal, State, and local agencies;
- the NRC staff’s own independent review, as documented in the 2011 draft SEIS and the 2013 supplement to the draft SEIS;
- the NRC staff’s consideration of public comments received during the scoping process; and
- consideration of public comments received on the draft supplemental environmental impact statement and the 2013 supplement to the draft SEIS.
Page Last Reviewed/Updated Wednesday, March 24, 2021