§ 52.54 Issuance of standard design certification.
(a) After conducting a rulemaking proceeding under § 52.51 on an application for a standard design certification and receiving the report to be submitted by the Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards under § 52.53, the Commission may issue a standard design certification in the form of a rule for the design which is the subject of the application, if the Commission determines that:
(1) The application meets the applicable standards and requirements of the Atomic Energy Act and the Commission's regulations;
(2) Notifications, if any, to other agencies or bodies have been duly made;
(3) There is reasonable assurance that the standard design conforms with the provisions of the Act, and the
(4) The applicant is technically qualified;
(5) The proposed inspections, tests, analyses, and acceptance criteria are necessary and sufficient, within the scope of the standard design, to provide reasonable assurance that, if the inspections, tests, and analyses are performed and the acceptance criteria met, the facility has been constructed and will be operated in accordance with the design certification, the provisions of the Act, and the Commission's regulations; (6) Issuance of the standard design certification will not be inimical to the common defense and security or to the health and safety of the public;
(7) The findings required by subpart A of part 51 of this chapter have been made; and
(8) The applicant has implemented the quality assurance program described or referenced in the safety analysis report.
(b) The design certification rule must specify the site parameters, design characteristics, and any additional
requirements and restrictions of the design certification rule.
(c) After the Commission has adopted a final design certification rule, the applicant shall not permit any individual to have access to or any facility to possess restricted data or classified National Security Information until the individual and/or facility has been approved for access under the provisions of 10 CFR parts 25 and/or 95, as applicable.
[72 FR 49528, Aug. 28, 2007]
Page Last Reviewed/Updated Tuesday, August 29, 2017