Operating Reactor Licensing

The NRC licenses all commercially owned nuclear power plants that produce electricity in the United States. After the initial license is granted, the license may be amended, renewed, transferred, or otherwise modified, depending on activities that affect the reactor during its operating life.

The NRC also licenses research and test reactors used for research, testing, and training. The licensing process for research and test reactors is conducted in accordance with the requirements in 10 CFR Part 50 for Class 104 licenses.

For more information about Operating Reactor Licensing, see the following:

Page Last Reviewed/Updated Thursday, March 31, 2022