United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission - Protecting People and the Environment

Health Physics Questions and Answers - Question 203

Question 203: Can you have radiation levels in excess of 2 millirem in one hour or 100 millirem per year in a controlled area if the public is not allowed to enter the area?

Answer: If the public is not allowed to enter for reasons other than limiting radiation exposure, the answer is yes. If the public is not allowed to enter in order to limit radiation exposure and for other reasons, the answer is no. As indicated in the answer to Question 26 (a), under the discussion of "controlled area", when an area meets both the definition of a controlled area and the definition of a restricted area, the area is considered a restricted area for purposes of compliance with Part 20.

(Reference: 10 CFR 20.1301)

Page Last Reviewed/Updated Wednesday, November 08, 2017