Low-Level Waste Disposal Regulations, Guidance, and Communications
On this page:
NRC's regulations are found in Chapter I of Title 10, "Energy," of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Chapter I is divided into Parts 1 through 199. The following are the principal parts governing low-level waste:
- Part 61 – Licensing requirements for land disposal of radioactive waste
- Part 62 – Criteria and procedures for emergency access to non-Federal and regional low-level waste disposal facilities
- Rulemaking Dockets
10 CFR 20.2002 is a general provision that allows for other disposal methods, different from those already defined in the regulations, provided that doses are maintained as low as is reasonably achievable (ALARA) and within the dose limits of Part 20.
Agreement States' regulations must be compatible with NRC's.
The NRC Regulatory Agenda (NUREG-0936) is a semiannual compilation of brief descriptions of all rulemaking actions.
Regulatory guides are issued in 10 divisions and are intended to aid licensees in implementing regulations. The guides most applicable to low level waste disposal are in Division 4, Environmental and Siting.
Web (HTML) versions of some regulatory guides are available for viewing or downloading. Those available are highlighted in the index to our Regulatory Guide Document Collection. All active final and draft guides are also available in NRC's Agencywide Documents Access and Management System (ADAMS).
Other guidance documents that may be useful to licensees and other stakeholders are:
- Standard Review Plan for the Review of a License Application for a Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Facility (NUREG-1200)
- Environmental Standard Review Plan for the Review of a License Application for a Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Facility (NUREG-1300)
- Standard Format and Content of a License Application for a Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Facility (NUREG-0119)
- Licensing of Alternative Methods of Disposal of Low-Level Radioactive Waste (NUREG-1241)
Other Reports of Interest
- A Guide to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's 10 CFR Part 61 (NUREG/BR-0121)
- A Performance Assessment Methodology for Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Facilities (NUREG-1573)
- History and Framework of Commercial Low-Level Radioactive Waste Management in the United States: ACNW White Paper (NUREG-1853)
Web (HTML) versions of some guidance documents are available in our NUREG-series document collection. Some are also are available in ADAMS (see our table listing their availability).
Generic Communications are NRC's primary method of sending information to specific classes of licensees. There are several types: