NRC-EPRI Uncertainty Workshop
On this page:
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) are holding a workshop on the treatment of uncertainties in risk-informed regulatory activities.
This workshop is being held from Wednesday, November 18 to Thursday, November 19, 2015.
The purpose of this workshop is to discuss and provide guidance on the treatment of uncertainties in risk-informed regulatory activities, as related to NUREG-1855, Revision 1, "Guidance on the Treatment of Uncertainties Associated with PRAs in Risk-Informed Decisionmaking" (ML15026A512), EPRI 1016737, "Treatment of Parameter and Model Uncertainty for Probabilistic Risk Assessments,' and EPRI 1026511, "Practical Guidance on the Use of PRA in Risk-Informed Applications with a Focus on the Treatment of Uncertainty." This workshop will address the treatment of uncertainties in risk-informed regulatory activities in the context of both operating and new reactors.
Specific discussion topics to be covered during this workshop include:
- Definition and discussion of types of uncertainties
- What process is needed to address uncertainties for different applications
- Determining the PRA scope for an application
- Treatment of completeness, parameter, and model uncertainties in PRAs
- Licensing strategy for developing an application
- NRC decisionmaking process
- Discussion of various examples to illustrate the licensee and NRC processes
In addition to the previously referenced documents, attendees are encouraged to have read or be familiar with the following documents:
- Regulatory Guide 1.200, Revision 2, "An Approach for Determining the Technical Adequacy of Probabilistic Risk Assessment Results for Risk-Informed Activities," (ML090410014)
- ASME/ANS RA-Sb-2013, "Standard for Level 1/Large Early Release Frequency Probabilistic Risk Assessment for Nuclear Power Plant Applications"
The NRC-EPRI Uncertainty Workshop will be held at the Hilton Washington DC/Rockville Hotel & Executive Meeting Center located at 1750 Rockville Pike, Rockville, Maryland 20852.
Seating for this workshop will be limited and, as such, it is recommended that interested individuals pre-register. Seating cannot be guaranteed for those that are not pre-registered. To register, please contact:
For general questions or comments regarding the NRC-EPRI Uncertainty Workshop, please contact:
Page Last Reviewed/Updated Monday, April 04, 2016