Many links on this page are to documents in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF). See our Plugins, Viewers, and Other Tools page for more information.
On this page:
- Enforcement Manual
- Inspection Manual - Excerpts
- Memoranda of Understanding Between NRC and Other Agencies Regarding Enforcement
See also Dispositioning of Enforcement Issues in a Risk-Informed Framework - Memorandum from Director, Office of Enforcement, December 5, 2000.
On February 1, 2013, the NRC completed the eighth full revision of the NRC Enforcement Manual. This document is used by the NRC enforcement staff. Revision 8 is a joint effort that draws on the knowledge and experience of the enforcement staff from across the Agency. The manual is a living document that is regularly updated for accuracy.
The Manual was first published in June 1990 as a tool to assist the NRC staff in implementing the Commission's enforcement program consistent with NRC's Enforcement Policy. Intended for internal use by the NRC, the Manual contains procedures, requirements, and background information used by the staff that develop or review enforcement actions. As such, failure to follow the guidance in this Manual does not invalidate an enforcement action.
This Manual supersedes the previous version issued as Revision 7 (October 1, 2010). Revision 8 includes multiple changes, including updated and reformatted information and hyperlinks to other NRC documents. Updates to the Manual not resulting in a full revision will be made as necessary and documented in Enforcement Manual Change Notices documented in the Change Notice Index below.
Highlights of the changes to the Manual include:
- Guidance and information reflective of the revised Enforcement Policy published in the Federal Register on January 28, 2013 (78 FR 5838)
- Incorporation of recommendations from the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) audit OIG-12-A-09, "Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s Use of Confirmatory Action Letters.”
A more detailed summary of the changes in Revision 8 is included in Revision 8 - Summary of Changes
Inspection Manual - Excerpts
The NRC Inspection Manual includes procedures for issuing Notices of Enforcement Discretion (NOEDs) for Power Reactors and Gaseous Diffusion Plants.
Memoranda of Understanding Between NRC and Other Agencies Regarding Enforcement
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between NRC and DOJ
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between NRC and DOL
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between NRC and DOT
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between NRC and OSHA
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between NRC and OSHA (Re: Gaseous Diffusion Plants)