Freedom of Information Act & Privacy Act Requests
A FOIA Public Meeting will be held on March 23, 2016, at 1:00pm at NRC Headquarters.
NRC administers policies, programs, and procedures to ensure NRC compliance with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and the Privacy Act (PA) , 5 U.S.C. 552 and 5 U.S.C. 552a. NRC's regulations on public records are found in 10 CFR Part 9 of the Code of Federal Regulations. NRC's Deputy Executive Director for Corporate Management is designated as the NRC Chief FOIA Officer.
The FOIA generally provides any person the right, enforceable in court, to obtain access to Federal agency records.
The objectives of the Privacy Act are to restrict disclosure of personally identifiable records maintained by Federal agencies, grant individuals rights of access to agency records maintained on themselves, grant individuals the right to seek amendment of agency records maintained on themselves, and to require agencies to comply with statutory norms for collection, maintenance, and dissemination of records.
For more information related to the FOIA and Privacy Act, see the following:
- What to include in a FOIA request, how to submit the request, and how NRC will process the request
- Privacy Act Requests Guide - what to include in a Privacy Act request, how to submit the request, and how NRC will process the request
- Processing Fees - detailed explanation of our FOIA and Privacy Act processing fees and fee waivers
- Contact Us About FOIA/Privacy Act, Service Center, and Public Liaisons
- Access to Records Without a FOIA Request [5 U.S.C 552(a)(1) & (2)]
- To receive information from the NRC FOIA program, subscribe to our distribution list.
For more information on the U.S. Federal government's FOIA programs, visit the Office of Information Policy, U.S. Department of Justice, the Web site of the Federal government's executive office for guidance on FOIA implementation.