Freedom of Information Act & Privacy Act Requests
Due to the high volume of FOIA requests received as a result of the unexpected events in Japan, response times to requests may be longer than normal.
Please see our FOIAs Related to the Japan Emergency page for more information on requests that have already been submitted.
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Mailstop: T-5 F09
Washington, DC 20555-0001
NRC administers policies, programs, and procedures to ensure NRC compliance with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and the Privacy Act (PA) , 5 U.S.C. 552 and 5 U.S.C. 552a. NRC's regulations on public records are found in 10 CFR Part 9 of the Code of Federal Regulations. NRC's Deputy Executive Director for Corporate Management is designated as the NRC Chief FOIA Officer.
The FOIA generally provides any person the right, enforceable in court, to obtain access to Federal agency records.
The objectives of the Privacy Act are to restrict disclosure of personally identifiable records maintained by Federal agencies, grant individuals rights of access to agency records maintained on themselves, grant individuals the right to seek amendment of agency records maintained on themselves, and to require agencies to comply with statutory norms for collection, maintenance, and dissemination of records.
For more information related to the FOIA and Privacy Act, see the following:
- Freedom of Information Act Guide
- Access to Records Without a FOIA Request [5 U.S.C 552(a)(1) & (2)]
- What to include in a FOIA request, how to submit the request, and how NRC will process the request
- Amendments to the FOIA "OPEN Government Act of 2007" - full text of the "Openness Promotes Effectiveness in our National Government Act of 2007, the bill signed into law on December 31, 2007
- Freedom of Information Act - President Obama Memorandum dated January 21, 2009
- Open Government and FOIA - Office of the Attorney General Memorandum dated March 19, 2009
- Open Government Assessment of the NRC's FOIA Process - an assessment of the NRC’s capacity to analyze, coordinate, and respond to FOIA requests in a timely manner, together with provisions to strengthen the agency’s response processes
- Executive Order 13392, Improving Agency Disclosure of Information - provides a synopsis of the purpose and intent of the Executive Order, its requirements, and the NRC's compliance with its requirements
- NRC FOIA Backlog Reduction Goals for FY2008, FY2009, and FY2010 - establishes goals with respect to the numbers of FOIA requests and administrative appeals to be processed
- Privacy Act Requests Guide - what to include in a Privacy Act request, how to submit the request,
and how NRC will process the request
- Processing Fees - detailed
explanation of our FOIA and Privacy Act processing fees and fee waivers
- Index of Closed FOIA/PA
Requests by Subject - subject list of requests closed since 1998
- Recent FOIA Requests - subject list and reference number of recently received requests
- Records Frequently Requested under
the FOIA - full text of frequently requested records
- Privacy Act Systems of
Records - a complete description of agency records that are retrieved
by name, social security number, or any other type of personal identifier
- Annual FOIA Reports - statistics on NRC's FOIA program reported annually to the Department of Justice
- Quarterly FOIA Reports - statistics on NRC's FOIA program reported quarterly to the Department of Justice
- Annual Chief FOIA Officer Reports - annual report on the steps taken to improve FOIA operation and facilitate information disclosures
- Contact Us About FOIA/Privacy Act, Service Center, and Public Liaisons
- Office of Government Information Services (OGIS)
- FOIA.gov – a comprehensive public resource for government-wide FOIA information and data
For more information on the U.S. Federal government's FOIA programs, visit the Office of Information Policy, U.S. Department of Justice, the Web site of the Federal government's executive office for guidance on FOIA implementation.