Conceptual Overview of the License Verification Process
The License Verification System (LVS) will use a process based on the following steps, as illustrated by the conceptual diagram below:
- An authorized customer requests X curies of Cobalt-60 (Co-60) from an authorized supplier and provides a copy of its license, as required by Title 10, Section 30.41, of the Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR 30.41), “Transfer of Byproduct Material,” or the Agreement State equivalent;
- The authorized supplier submits specific information gathered from the customer’s license to LVS in order to verify the official copy of the customer’s license.
- LVS queries the Web-Based Licensing (WBL) System to obtain the requested license image.
- WBL displays the license image where the supplier can determine the possession limit for the requested material.
- LVS queries the National Source Tracking System (NSTS) with the possession limit for Category 1 and Category 2 authorized materials.
- If the customer is above their possession limit in NSTS, LVS will display a message for the supplier to contact the regulator.
- LVS displays the official license image and notifies the supplier to contact the regulator if there is a discrepancy between the maximum possession limit of authorized materials in WBL and the inventory of those materials in NSTS.
- The authorized supplier notes the license verification is complete in LVS and then completes the transfer of material to the customer.
Page Last Reviewed/Updated Friday, November 01, 2013