Operating reactor sites are using present-day information to reevaluate the earthquake effects—or hazards—that could impact their site. These newly reevaluated hazards, if worse than what the plant had originally calculated, will be analyzed to determine if plant structures, systems, and/or components need to be updated to protect against the new hazard. The NRC will review each step in the analysis process and take action to require plant changes as necessary.
- NRC Request for Information letter related to seismic, flooding and emergency preparedness (March 12, 2012)
- NRC-issued guidance for performing a Seismic Margin Assessment (JLD-ISG-2012-04) (November 16, 2012)
- Industry-issued guidance for screening, prioritization, and implementation details (SPID) (EPRI Report 1025287) (November 2012)
- NRC endorsement of guidance for screening, prioritization, and implementation details (SPID) (February 15, 2013)
- Industry-issued guidance on expedited approach for seismic reevaluations (EPRI Draft Report 3002000704) (April 2013)
- NRC endorsement of industry's expedited approach for seismic reevaluations (May 7, 2013)
For plant-specific documents, visit our Plant Implementation Status page.