Regulations and Standard Review Plan Concerning Radiation Protection for New Reactors
Regulations issued by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) are found in Chapter I of Title 10, "Energy," of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Chapter I is divided into Parts 1 through 199. Among these, all NRC licensees are required to implement the regulations in 10 CFR Part 20, "Standards for Protection Against Radiation," to protect the public, occupational workers, and the environment from ionizing radiation associated with licensed activities. Consequently, the NRC staff will throroughly review all new reactor applications to ensure that applicants are in compliance with these standards and all associated radiation protection regulations. For information about other regulations associated with radiation protection programs, as well as the applicable sections of the NRC's "Standard Review Plan for the Review of Safety Analysis Reports for Nuclear Power Plants" (NUREG-0800), see the following topics on this page:
- 10 CFR Part 19, "Notices, Instructions and Reports to Workers: Inspection and Investigations"
- Appendix B to 10 CFR Part 20, "Annual Limits on Intake (ALIs) and Derived Air Concentrations (DACs) of Radionuclides for Occupational Exposure; Effluent Concentrations; Concentrations for Release to Sewerage"
- 10 CFR 50.34a, "Design Objectives for Equipment To Control Releases of Radioactive Material in Effluents — Nuclear Power Reactors"
- 10 CFR 50.68, "Criticality Accident Requirements"
- 10 CFR 50.120, "Training and Qualification of Nuclear Power Plant Personnel"
- Appendix A to 10 CFR Part 50, General Design Criterion 61: "Fuel Storage and Handling and Radioactivity Control"
- Appendix I to 10 CFR Part 50, "Numerical Guides for Design Objectives and Limiting Conditions for Operation to Meet the Criterion 'As Low as is Reasonably Achievable' for Radioactive Material in Light-Water-Cooled Nuclear Power Reactor Effluents"
- 10 CFR 71.5, "Transportation of Licensed Material"
- Subpart G of 10 CFR Part 71, "Operating Controls and Procedures" (for packaging and transportation of radioactive material)
- Subpart H of 10 CFR Part 71, "Quality Assurance" (for packaging and transportation of radioactive material)
Standard Review Plan
This page includes links to files in non-HTML format. See Plugins, Viewers, and Other Tools for more information.
- Chapter 11, "Radioactive Waste Management"
- Chapter 12, "Radiation Protection"