Safety Evaluation Report Related to the License Renewal of the Brunswick Steam Electric Plant, Units 1 and 2 (NUREG-1856)
On this page:
Download complete document
This page includes links to files in non-HTML format. See Plugins, Viewers, and Other Tools for more information.
- Cover to Abbreviations (PDF 860 KB)
- Chapter 1: Introduction and General Description (PDF 620 KB)
- Chapter 2: Structures and Components Subject To Aging Management Review pt1(PDF 6.65 MB)
- Chapter 2: Structures and Components Subject To Aging Management Review pt2(PDF 6.06 MB)
- Chapter 3: Aging Management Review Results pt1 (PDF 8.75 MB)
- Chapter 3: Aging Management Review Results pt2 (PDF 9.80 MB)
- Chapter 3: Aging Management Review Results pt3 (PDF 4.79 MB)
- Chapter 3: Aging Management Review Results pt4 (PDF 4.74 MB)
- Chapter Appendices: A-B (PDF 869 KB)
- Chapter Appendices: C-D (PDF 415 KB)
Manuscript Completed: March 2006
Date Published: June 2006
Division of License Renewal
Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Washington, DC 20555-0001
This safety evaluation report (SER) documents the technical review of the Brunswick Steam Electric Plant (BSEP), Units 1 and 2, license renewal application (LRA) by the staff of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) (the staff). By letter dated October 18, 2004, Carolina Power & Light Company (CP&L or the applicant) submitted the LRA for BSEP in accordance with Title 10, Part 54, of the Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR Part 54). CP&L is requesting renewal of the operating licenses for BSEP Units 1 and 2, (Facility Operating License Numbers DPR-71 and DPR-62, respectively) for a period of 20 years beyond the current expiration dates of midnight September 8, 2016, for Unit I and midnight December 27, 2014, for Unit 2.
The BSEP units are located south of Wilmington, NC, at the mouth of the Cape Fear River in Brunswick County, NC, and two miles north of Southport, NC. The NRC issued the construction permits for Units 1 and 2 on February 7, 1970. The NRC issued the operating licenses for Unit 1 on November 12,1976; and for Unit 2 on December 27, 1974. Units 1 and 2 are boiling water reactors (BWRs) with primary containments of the BWR Mark I design. Each unit has a nuclear steam supply system that is supplied by General Electric (GE) Nuclear Energy Company. The balance of the plant was originally designed and constructed by Brown & Root with the assistance of its agent, United Engineers & Constructors. Each unit operates at a licensed power output of 2923 megawatt thermal (Mwt), with a gross electrical output of approximately 1007 megawatt electric (Mwe).
This SER presents the status of the staffs review of information submitted to the NRC through December 6, 2005, the cutoff date for consideration in the SER. The staff will present its final conclusion on the review of the BSEP application in its update to this SER.