Generic Environmental Impact Statement for License Renewal of Nuclear Plants: Grand Gulf Nuclear Station, Unit 1 – Draft Report for Comment (NUREG-1437, Supplement 50)
This NUREG-series publication was issued for public comment. The comment period is now closed.
On this page:
Download complete document
Manuscript Completed: October 2013
Date Published: November 2013
Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Washington, DC 20555-0001
This supplemental environmental impact statement (SEIS) has been prepared in response to an application submitted by Entergy Operations, Inc. (Entergy) to renew the operating license for Grand Gulf Nuclear Station, Unit 1 (GGNS), for an additional 20 years.
This SEIS includes the preliminary analysis that evaluates the environmental impacts of the proposed action and alternatives to the proposed action. Alternatives considered include: new nuclear generation, natural gas-fired combined-cycle generation, supercritical coal-fired generation, combination alternative, and no renewal of the license (the no-action alternative).
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s (NRC’s) preliminary recommendation is that the adverse environmental impacts of license renewal for GNS are not great enough to deny the option of license renewal for energy-planning decisionmakers. This recommendation is based on the following:
- the analysis and findings in NUREG–1437, Volumes 1 and 2, Generic Environmental Impact Statement for License Renewal of Nuclear Plants,
- the Environmental Report submitted by Entergy,
- consultation with Federal, State, local, and Tribal government agencies,
- the NRC’s environmental review, and
- consideration of public comments received during the scoping process.