Generic Environmental Impact Statement for License Renewal of Nuclear Plants: Seabrook Station — Draft Report for Comment (NUREG-1437, Supplement 46)
This NUREG-series publication was issued for public comment. The comment period is now closed.
On this page:
Download complete document
- NUREG-1437, Supplement 46, Draft Report for Comment - 1 of 2 (PDF 6.0 MB)
- NUREG-1437, Supplement 46, Draft Report for Comment - 2 of 2 (PDF 50.3 MB)
Manuscript Completed: July 2011
Date Published: July 2011
Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Washington, DC 20555-0001
This draft supplemental environmental impact statement (SEIS) has been prepared in response to an application submitted by NextEra Energy Seabrook, LLC (NextEra) to renew the operating license for Seabrook Station (Seabrook) for an additional 20 years.
This draft SEIS includes the preliminary analysis that evaluates the environmental impacts of the proposed action and alternatives to the proposed action. Alternatives considered include replacement power from new natural-gas-fired combined-cycle generation; new nuclear generation; a combination alternative that includes some natural-gas-fired capacity, and a wind power component; and the no-action alternative of not renewing the license.
The NRC’s preliminary recommendation is that the adverse environmental impacts of license renewal for Seabrook are not great enough to deny the option of license renewal for energy planning decision makers. This recommendation is based on the following:
- analysis and findings in the generic environmental impact statement (GEIS)
- the Environmental Report (ER) submitted by NextEra
- consultation with Federal, State, and local agencies
- NRC staff’s own independent review
- NRC staff’s consideration of public comments received during the scoping process