Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Sex in Federally Assisted Programs (NUREG/BR-0460)
On this page:
Download complete document
This page includes links to files in non-HTML format. See Plugins, Viewers, and Other Tools for more information.
Date Published: September 2009
Office of Small Business and Civil Rights
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Washington, DC 20555-0001
This brochure explains the requirements of various statutes that prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in programs that receive Federal financial assistance, and describes how individuals can file complaints of discrimination when they believe their rights under these laws have been violated. In particular, this brochure answers the following questions:
- What are the civil rights statutes that prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in federally assisted programs?
- What do the terms "Federal financial assistance" and "federally assisted education programs" mean?
- Because Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex only in federally assisted education programs, does Title IX apply only to educational institutions?
- What kinds of sex discrimination does Title IX prohibit?
- Is employment discrimination on the basis of sex also prohibited in federally assisted programs?
- How can I file a complaint of discrimination on the basis of sex?
- What will the Federal agency do with my complaint?
- What if someone retaliates against me for filing a complaint?