Assessment Study of RELAP5/MOD2 Cycle 36.04 Based on the DOEL-4 Manual Loss of Load Test of November 23, 1985 (NUREG/IA-0043)
On this page:
Download complete document
This page includes links to files in non-HTML format. See Plugins, Viewers, and Other Tools for more information.
Date Published: March 1992
E.J. Stubbe, P. Deschutter
Place du Trone, 1
Prepared as part of:
The Agreement on Research Participation and Technical Exchange
under the International Thermal-Hydraulic Code Assessment
and Application Program (ICAP)
Office of Nuclear Regulatory Research
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Washington, DC 20555
The loss of external load transient test conducted on the Doel- 4 power plant has been analysed on the basis of a high quality data acquisition system.
A detailed numerical analysis of the transient by means of the best estimate code RELAP-5 MOD-2 is presented, covering the most important plant components and systems, and complemented by imposed boundary conditions, taken from the recordings, when necessary.
Comparison of recorded and calculated data show that
- The RELAP-5 code is capable to simulate the basic plant behaviour which allows a deeper insight in the physical phenomena.
- Some deficiencies affecting either the model or the code are
observed, they could be attributed
- to the absence of structural heat simulation of the steam generators
- to acoustic phenomena which influence the steam generator level sensor
- to excessive interphase drag in the steam generator at low void regimes.
- Typical characteristic features of the plant can better be
quantified such as
- strong thermal coupling between feedwater flow and cold leg temperature for a preheater type steam generator
- Delay between feedwater flow variations and level swell and shrink response.