§ 73.72 Requirement for advance notice of shipment of formula quantities of strategic special nuclear material, special nuclear material of moderate strategic significance, or irradiated reactor fuel.
(a) A licensee, other than one specified in paragraph (b) of this section, who, in a single shipment, plans to deliver to a carrier for transport, to take delivery at the point where a shipment is delivered to a carrier for transport, to import, to export, or to transport a formula quantity of strategic special nuclear material, special nuclear material of moderate strategic significance, or irradiated reactor fuel required to be protected in accordance with § 73.37, shall:
(1) Notify in writing the Director, Division of Security Policy, Office of Nuclear Security and Incident Response, using any appropriate method listed in § 73.4. Classified notifications shall be sent to the NRC headquarters classified mailing address listed in appendix A to this part.
(2) Assure that the notification will be received at least 10 days before transport of the shipment commences at the shipping facility;
(3) Include the following information in the notification:
(i) The name(s), address(es), and telephone number(s) of the shipper, receiver, and carrier(s);
(ii) A physical description of the shipment:
(A) For a shipment other than irradiated fuel, the elements, isotopes, enrichment, and quantity;
(B) For a shipment of irradiated fuel, the physical form, quantity, type of reactor, and original enrichment;
(iii) A listing of the mode(s) of shipment, transfer point(s), and route(s) to be used;
(iv) The estimated time and date that shipment will commence and that each country along the route is scheduled to be entered; and
(v) The estimated time and date of arrival of the shipment at the destination;
(4) The NRC Headquarters Operations Center shall be notified by telephone at least 2 days before commencement of the shipment at the phone numbers listed in appendix A to this part. Classified notifications shall be made by secure telephone.
(5) The NRC Headquarters Operations Center shall be notified by telephone of schedule changes greater than ± 6 hours at the numbers listed in appendix A to this part. Classified notifications shall be made by secure telephone.
(b) A licensee who makes a road shipment or transfer with one-way transit times of one hour or less in duration between installations of the licensee is exempt from the requirements of this section for that shipment or transfer.
[52 FR 9653, Mar. 26, 1987, as amended at 53 FR 4111, Feb. 12, 1988; 60 FR 24552, May 9, 1995; 67 FR 3586, Jan. 25, 2002; 68 FR 58820, Oct. 10, 2003; 74 FR 62684, Dec. 1, 2009]