Generic Environmental Impact Statement for License Renewal of Nuclear Plants: Braidwood Station, Units 1 and 2 – Final Report (NUREG-1437, Supplement 55)
On this page:
Download complete document
Manuscript Completed: November 2015
Date Published: November 2015
Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Washington, DC 20555-0001
This supplemental environmental impact statement (SEIS) has been prepared in response to an application submitted by Exelon Generation Company, LLC (Exelon), to renew the operating license for Braidwood Station (Braidwood), Units 1 and 2, for an additional 20 years.
This SEIS includes the analysis that evaluates the environmental impacts of the proposed action and alternatives to the proposed action. Alternatives considered include: new nuclear, coal-integrated gasification combined cycle, natural gas combined cycle, combination alternative (wind power, natural gas combined cycle, and solar power), and purchased power.
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) staff's recommendation is that the adverse environmental impacts of license renewal for Braidwood are not so great that preserving the option of license renewal for energy-planning decisionmakers would be unreasonable. This recommendation is based on the following:
- the analysis and findings in NUREG–1437, Generic Environmental Impact Statement for License Renewal of Nuclear Plants;
- the Environmental Report submitted by Exelon;
- consultation with Federal, State, local, and Tribal government agencies;
- the NRC staff's environmental review; and
- consideration of public comments received during the scoping process and received on the draft SEIS.
Side bars indicate updates and changes since the devlopment of the Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (DSEIS).
Page Last Reviewed/Updated Wednesday, March 24, 2021