U. S. NUCLEAR REGULATORY COMMISSION
OFFICE OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS, REGION III
801 Warrenville Road, Lisle IL 60532
|CONTACT:||Jan Strasma (630) 829-9663/e-mail: email@example.com|
|Angela Dauginas (630) 829-9662/e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org|
NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT: RIII-97-39
April 17, 1997
Jan Strasma 630/829-9663
Angela Dauginas 630/829-9662
TO BE TAKEN PRIOR TO STARTUP OF ZION AND LASALLE NUCLEAR PLANTS
The two-unit LaSalle Station is near Seneca, Illinois, and the two-unit Zion Station is at Zion, Illinois.
The letters document the utility's agreement to:
1. Develop plans to address corrective actions for the various performance deficiencies at Zion and LaSalle and submit the plans to the NRC. The plans will include the utility's criteria for assessing the effectiveness of the corrective actions.
2. Keep the NRC staff informed to the projected startup dates for the two plants.
3. Meet with the NRC periodically to discuss the status of the corrective action plans.
4. Meet with the NRC following the completion of the evaluation and training programs for reactor operators at the two plants to discuss the results of the training activities.
5. Meet with the NRC to discuss the readiness of the initial unit at each site to resume operations once the utility has determined that the unit is ready for restart.
The meetings between the NRC staff and the utility will be open to public observation.
The LaSalle units have been shut down since last September. Unit 2 was shut down for refueling, and Unit 1 shut down for mainteance.
Zion Unit 2 was also shut down for refueling in September of last year. Unit 1 was shut down February 21 because of an inoperable safety system pump.
The two plants were put on the NRC's "Watch List" in January because of declining performance.
Copies of the two Confirmatory Action letters are available from the Region III Office of Public Affairs and on the NRC's internet web site at <http://www.nrc.gov/OPA/reports>.