§ 1.1 Creation and authority.
(a) The Nuclear Regulatory Commission was established by the Energy Reorganization Act of 1974, as amended, Pub. L. 93-438, 88 Stat. 1233 (42 U.S.C. 5801 et seq.). This Act abolished the Atomic Energy Commission and, by section 201, transferred to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission all the licensing and related regulatory functions assigned to the Atomic Energy Commission by the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended, Pub. L. 83-703, 68 Stat. 919 (42 U.S.C. 2011 et seq.). These functions included those of the Atomic Safety and Licensing Board Panel. The Energy Reorganization Act became effective January 19, 1975 (E.O. 11834).
(b) As used in this part:
Commission means the five members of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission or a quorum thereof sitting as a body, as provided by section 201 of the Energy Reorganization Act of 1974, as amended.
NRC means the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, the agency established by title II of the Energy Reorganization Act of 1974, as amended, comprising the members of the Commission and all offices, employees, and representatives authorized to act in any case or matter.
[52 FR 31602, Aug. 21, 1987, as amended at 56 FR 29407, June 27, 1991]