Safety Evaluation Reports Concerning the Revised Basis for QA Programs for Operating Reactors (including Calibration Services) and New Reactor Licensing Activities
On this page:
- Regulatory Guide 1.28, Revision 4, "Quality Assurance Program Criteria (Design and Construction)"
- Adoption of ASME NQA-1-1994
- Calibration Services
- QA Program Reviews
Regulatory Guide 1.28, Revision 4
Regulatory Guide 1.28, Revision 4, establishes the acceptance of Part I and Part II requirements included in NQA-1-2008 and the NQA-1a-2009 Addenda, "Quality Assurance Requirements for Nuclear Facility Applications," for the implementation of a QA program during design and construction phases of nuclear power plants and fuel reprocessing plants. The NRC has determined that NQA-1-2008 and the NQA-1a-2009 Addenda provide an adequate basis for complying with the requirements of Appendix B to 10 CFR Part 50, subject to the additions and modifications of NQA-1-2008 and the NQA-1a-2009 Addenda identified in RG 1.28, Revision 4
Adoption of ASME NQA-1-1994
For several licensees, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) approved changing the licensing basis from ANSI N45.2, ''Quality Assurance Program Requirements for Nuclear Power Plants," to NQA-1-1994, "Quality Assurance Requirements for Nuclear Facility Applications." Part II of NQA-1-1994 sets forth programmatic requirements for establishing and executing quality assurance programs for the siting, design, construction, operation, and decommissioning of nuclear facilities. To augment those requirements, Part II of NQA-1-1994 sets forth non-programmatic quality assurance requirements for planning and executing identified tasks during the fabrication, construction, modification, repair, maintenance, and testing of structures, systems, and components for nuclear facilities. The guidance provided by Parts I and II of NQA-1-1994 is similar to that provided by the ANSI N45.2 daughter standards developed in the 1970s and early 1980s. The licensees in question proposed to adopt NQA-1-1994 in lieu of certain current commitments to ANSI N45.2 daughter standards.
The bases for staff approval of the proposed change are documented in the following safety evaluation reports:
- Exelon Generation Company and Amergen Energy Company
- Nuclear Management Company 5
- Dominion Nuclear Connecticut and Virginia Electric & Power Company
- Constellation Generation Group
- Florida Power & Light Company
- Southern Nuclear Operating Company
The NRC approved the NVLAP/A2LA third-party accreditation of calibration laboratories, in lieu of a commercial-grade survey or in-process surveillance for Arizona Public Service Company in a letter dated September 28, 2005. The alternative method for qualifying the calibration supplier and accepting its calibration services would be applied only to domestic commercial-grade calibration services, as defined by Title 10, Part 21, of the Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR Part 21), "Reporting of Defects and Noncompliance."
- NRC Recognition of Perry Johnson Laboratory Accreditation, INC., as a domestic signatory to the ILAC MRA
- NRC Recognition of ACLASS Accreditation Services as a domestic signatory to the ILAC MRA
- NRC Recognition of Laboratory Accreditation Bureau (L-A-B) as a domestic signatory to the ILAC MRA
- NRC Recognition of International Accreditation Service, Inc. as a domestic signatory to the ILAC MRA
- The NRC has received a request from ENSA to accept accrediting bodies belonging to ILAC, other than those identified above
- NEI letter documenting Industry Proposal for Expanded Use of Internationally Accredited Calibration and Testing Laboratories
QA Program Reviews
The NRC reviewed and approved QA-related topical reports for potential applicants using the guidance in Standard Review Plan (SRP) 17.5. The bases for staff approval are documented in the following safety evaluation reports:
- Nuclear Energy Institute, Final Safety Evaluation for Technical Report NEI 11-04, "Quality Assurance Program Description," Revision 0
- NuScale Power, LLC, Final Safety Evaluation Regarding the Review of NuScale Topical Report NP-TR-1010-859-NP, Revision 1, "Quality Assurance Program Description for Design Certification of the NuScale Power Reactor"
- Westinghouse Electric Company Quality Management System, Revision 6
- General Electric Hitachi (GEH) Nuclear Energy Americas Topical Report NEDO-11209, Revision 9, "GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy Quality Assurance Program Description"
- Babcock & Wilcox Nuclear Energy (B&W NE) INC., Topical Report 08-00000320-000, Revision 2, "Quality Assurance Program for the Design Certification of the B&W NE mPower Reactor"
- Shaw Nuclear Services, INC., Quality Assurance Topical Report (QATR), SWSQAP1-74A, Revision B
- Nuclear Energy Institute, NEI 06-14, Revision 9, "Quality Assurance Program Description"
- Nuclear Energy Institute, NEI 06-14, Revision 7, "Quality Assurance Program Description"
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Topical Report PQD-HD-19005, Revision 1, "Quality Assurance Program (QAP) Description for Design Certification of the US-APWR"
- Bechtel Nuclear Topical Report (TR), BQ-TOP-1, 2007 Edition, Revision 1, "Quality Assurance Program For Nuclear Power Plants"
- Areva NP, Inc., "QA Program Description for Design Certification of the U.S. EPR"
- Nuclear Energy Institute, NEI 06-14, Revision 4, "QA Program Description Template for ESP and COL Licensing Activities"
- UniStar Nuclear, "QA Program Description for Early Site Permit (ESP), Combined License (COL), Construction, Pre-Operation, and/or Operation Activities" (corrected pages associated with the UniStar submittal)