Nuclear Materials Transportation Regulations, Guidance, and Communications
On this page:
NRC's regulations are found in Chapter I of Title 10, "Energy," of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Chapter I is divided into Parts 1 through 199. The following are the principal parts governing spent fuel transportation:
- Part 71 - Packaging and transportation of radioactive material
- Part 73 - Physical protection of plants and materials
- Rulemaking Dockets
Regulatory guides are issued in 10 divisions and are intended to aid licensees in implementing regulations. The guides most applicable to spent fuel transportation are issued in Division 7, Transportation.
Web (HTML) versions of some regulatory guides are available for viewing or downloading. Those available are highlighted in the index to our Document Collections/Regulatory Guides. All active final and draft guides are also available in NRC's Agencywide Documents Access and Management System (ADAMS).
Interim staff guidance (ISG) documents are used by the Division of Spent Fuel and Transportation (DSFST) to provide guidance to the staff concerning issues not currently addressed in a standard review plan (SRP) or issues where clarification of SRP text is necessary. This guidance is intended to ensure consistent reviews by the DSFST staff and will be incorporated into the next periodic update of the applicable SRP.
Other guidance documents that may be useful to licensees and other stakeholders are
- Standard Review Plan for Transportation Packages for Radioactive Material NUREG-1609)
- Standard Review Plan for Transportation Packages for Spent Nuclear Fuel (NUREG-1617)
- Classification of Transportation Packaging and Dry Spent Fuel Storage System Components According to Importance to Safety (NUREG/CR-6407)
Generic communications are NRC's primary method of sending information to specific classes of licensees. There are several types:
Newsletters are another way of sending information to NRC licensees. The NMSS Quarterly Newsletter (NUREG/BR-0117) is published quarterly and contains information about spent fuel transportation.