Outreach and Education Materials
The NRC staff maintain outreach materials that can be used to educate stakeholders about safety culture and the NRC's Safety Culture Policy Statement. In addition to the Federal Register Notice containing the Final Safety Culture Policy Statement, a brochure and poster are also available.
- Federal Register Notice English Version | Spanish Version
- Brochure (NUREG/BR-0500) – available in English, Spanish, and Printer-Friendly Versions
- Poster (11x17)
On this page:
- NRC-Developed Safety Culture Case Studies
- Safety Culture Journey
- Safety Culture Trait Talk
- Safety Culture Outreach Activities
- Safety Culture Policy Statement Outreach Effectiveness Survey
NRC staff also have pop-ups available (pictured to the right), which are convenient desktop references for the Safety Culture Policy Statement definition and traits. Please contact safety culture staff for more information.
NRC-Developed Safety Culture Case Studies
These case studies are learning tools. Those responsible for regulating or using radioactive material in a safe and secure manner should not become complacent and should be open to learning from the mistakes and the problems others have faced in an effort to prevent recurrences. The case studies that will be selected for this initiative represent a breadth of industries, including energy, medical, and transportation.
The NRC has also developed a Safety Culture Case Study User Guide to help individuals and organizations use the various case studies more effectively, providing them with a better understanding of why a strong safety culture and safety-first focus are critically important. It is recommended that you review the User Guide prior to reviewing the case studies.
Currently available Case Studies:
- Collision of Two Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Metrorail Trains
- US Airways Flight 1549: Forced Landing On the Hudson
- Partial Collapse of the Willow Island Cooling Tower
- Upper Big Branch Mine Explosion - 29 Lives Lost
Additional case studies are under development and will be added as they are completed.
Safety Culture Journey
Safety Culture Trait Talk
- Trait Talk, Issue 1: Leadership Safety Values and Actions
- Trait Talk, Issue 2: Work Processes
- Trait Talk, Issue 3: Questioning Attitude
- Trait Talk, Issue 4: Problem Identification and Resolution
- Trait Talk, Issue 5: Environment for Raising Concerns
- Trait Talk, Issue 6: Effective Safety Communication
- Trait Talk, Issue 7: Respectful Work Environment
- Trait Talk, Issue 8: Continuous Learning
- Trait Talk, Issue 9: Personal Accountability
Safety Culture Outreach Activities
As part of ongoing outreach activities associated with the Safety Culture Policy Statement, NRC staff give presentations about safety culture at internal and external meetings and conferences. A table listing outreach activities from 2010 to the most recent quarter are included in the following links:
- Safety Culture Policy Statement Outreach Table Jan 2010 - Dec 2011. (4 page(s), 8/4/2014)
- Safety Culture Policy Statement Outreach Table Jan 2012 - Dec 2013. (4 page(s), 8/4/2014)
- Safety Culture Policy Statement Outreach Table Jan 2014 – Dec 2014 (4 page(s), 3/19/2015)
- Safety Culture Policy Statement Outreach Table Jan 2015 – June 2015 (2 pages, 9/23/2015)
Safety Culture Policy Statement Outreach Effectiveness Survey
The NRC engaged LinkVisum Consulting Group to conduct a survey to assess the effectiveness of the NRC Safety Culture Policy Statement education and outreach for its licensees and the licensees of Agreement States. The survey questions, methodology, results, and recommendations are included in the NRC Safety Culture Survey Effectiveness Outreach Final Report and Supplement.
- NRC Safety Culture Policy Statement Outreach Effectiveness Survey Final Report
- NRC Safety Culture Policy Statement Outreach Effectiveness Survey Supplement