Outreach and Education Materials
The NRC staff maintain outreach materials that can be used to educate stakeholders about safety culture and the NRC's Safety Culture Policy Statement. In addition to the Federal Register Notice containing the Final Safety Culture Policy Statement, a brochure and poster are also available.
- Federal Register Notice English Version | Spanish Version
- Brochure (NUREG/BR-0500) – available in English, Spanish, and Printer-Friendly Versions
- Poster (11x17)
On this page:
- NRC-Developed Safety Culture Case Studies
- Safety Culture Journey
- Safety Culture Trait Talk
- Safety Culture Outreach Activities
NRC staff also have pop-ups available (pictured to the right), which are convenient desktop references for the Safety Culture Policy Statement definition and traits. Please contact safety culture staff for more information.
NRC-Developed Safety Culture Case Studies
These case studies are learning tools. Those responsible for regulating or using radioactive material in a safe and secure manner should not become complacent and should be open to learning from the mistakes and the problems others have faced in an effort to prevent recurrences. The case studies that will be selected for this initiative represent a breadth of industries, including energy, medical, and transportation.
The NRC has also developed a Safety Culture Case Study User Guide to help individuals and organizations use the various case studies more effectively, providing them with a better understanding of why a strong safety culture and safety-first focus are critically important. It is recommended that you review the User Guide prior to reviewing the case studies.
Currently available Case Studies:
- Collision of Two Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Metrorail Trains
- US Airways Flight 1549: Forced Landing On the Hudson
- Partial Collapse of the Willow Island Cooling Tower
- Upper Big Branch Mine Explosion - 29 Lives Lost
Additional case studies are under development and will be added as they are completed.
Safety Culture Journey
Safety Culture Trait Talk
- Trait Talk, Issue 1: Leadership Values and Actions
- Trait Talk, Issue 2: Work Processes
- Trait Talk, Issue 3: Questioning Attitude
- Trait Talk, Issue 4: Problem Identification and Resolution
- Trait Talk, Issue 5: Environment for Raising Concerns
- Trait Talk, Issue 6: Effective Safety Communication
Additional Trait Talk brochures for each of the nine safety culture traits in the Safety Culture Policy Statement are under development and will be added as they are completed.
Safety Culture Outreach Activities
As part of ongoing outreach activities associated with the Safety Culture Policy Statement, NRC staff give presentations about safety culture at internal and external meetings and conferences. A table listing outreach activities from 2010 to the most recent quarter are included in the following link: