Kenneth C. Rogers
Kenneth C. Rogers was sworn in for a second five-year term as a member of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission on June 12, 1992. Before his first-term nomination by President Reagan and confirmation by the Senate in 1987, Dr. Rogers served as president of Stevens Institute of Technology for 15 years.
He joined Stevens in 1957 following research appointments at Cornell University. At Stevens he served the college as a professor, head of the physics department, dean of the faculty and acting provost before becoming its president in 1972. He has held appointments at Princeton University and the City University of New York concurrent with his Stevens positions. In 1987 he was designated President Emeritus at Stevens.
A physicist by training, Dr. Rogers' technical areas of expertise include plasma physics, particle accelerators, optical spectroscopy, elementary particle physics and nuclear instrumentation. He is the author of more than 30 technical papers, and two patents.
Dr. Rogers was appointed by the Governor as a member of the New Jersey Commission on Science and Technology and is a member of numerous professional societies, including the American Physical Society and the American Nuclear Society, and is a Senior Member of the Institute of`Electrical and Electronics Engineers. He is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
He has served as a Director of the Public Service Enterprise Group (formerly Public Service Electric and Gas Company of New Jersey) and was a charter member of the Board of Director's Nuclear Oversight Committee. He has been a Director of the First Jersey National Bank as well as a Trustee of the Christ Hospital, Jersey City, NJ; the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities in New Jersey; the Independent College Fund of New Jersey; and the Hoboken (NJ) Chamber Orchestra.
He received a bachelor of science degree in physics from St. Lawrence University (1950) and a master of arts degree in physics (1952) and doctor of philosophy degree in physics (1956) from Columbia University. He was awarded an honorary doctorate degree by St. Lawrence University in 1983 and by Stevens Institute of Technology in 1987. He was the first recipient of the Hudson County (NJ) Humanitarian Award of the National Conference of Christians and Jews in 1985.