Dr. Forrest J. Remick
The biographies for all of the former Commissioners in this section are the official ones they used during their Commission terms.
Dr. Forrest J. Remick was sworn in for a five-year term as a member of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission on December 1, 1989.
At the time of his nomination to the Commission by President Bush, Dr. Remick was Associate Vice President for Research and Professor of Nuclear Engineering at the Pennsylvania State University. He also was serving as Chairman of the NRC's independent Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards (ACRS).
Beginning in 1967, Dr. Remick held a variety of positions of increasing responsibility at Penn State, including Director of the Institute for Science, and Engineering, Director of Intercollege Research Programs, Director of the Curtiss-Wright Nuclear Research Laboratory and Coordinator of University Energy Programs.
Dr. Remick was appointed to the ACRS in September 1982 and was reappointed in September 1986. He was elected Vice-Chairman for 1987 and 1988 and as Chairman for 1989.
He has served in a number of other capacities in the nuclear energy field, including Chief of the Training Section, Department of Technical Assistance, International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna Austria; Administrative Judge with the NRC's Atomic Safety and Licensing Board; Member of the Governor's Energy Council of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; Director of the NRC Office of Policy Evaluation; Member of the National Nuclear Accrediting Board; as well as serving on various scientific and nuclear safety advisory committees for the Argonne, Hanford, Idaho and Savannah River Laboratories of the Department of Energy.
He received his Ph.D. (1963), M.S. (1958), and B.S. (1955) in Mechanical Engineering from Penn State. He also graduated from the Oak Ridge (Tennessee) School of Reactor Technology.