Information Notice No. 91-76: 10 CFR Parts 21 and 50.55(e) Final Rules
NUCLEAR REGULATORY COMMISSION
OFFICE OF NUCLEAR REACTOR REGULATION
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20555
November 26, 1991
NRC INFORMATION NOTICE 91-76: 10 CFR PARTS 21 AND 50.55(e) FINAL RULES
All holders of operating licenses or construction permits and vendors for
nuclear power reactors.
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) is issuing this information
notice to inform addressees that the NRC has amended its regulations
regarding the reporting of safety defects under Parts 21 and 50.55(e) of
Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR Parts 21 and 50.55(e)),
as published in the Federal Register (56 FR 36081) on July 31, 1991. The
changes became effective on October 29, 1991. It is expected that
recipients will review the information for applicability to their facilities
and consider actions, as appropriate. However, no specific action or
written response is required.
The 10 CFR Parts 21 and 50.55(e) final rules incorporate the Commission's
experience with the existing regulations. The final rules apply to the Com-
mission's licensees and to nonlicensees who construct facilities for, or
supply basic components to facilities or activities licensed by the
The major changes to the 10 CFR Parts 21 and 50.55(e) rules include the
1. Reduced duplication in reporting or evaluation among Parts 21,
50.55(e), 50.72, 50.73, and 73.71.
2. Established uniform time limits for initial notifications and followup
written notifications for Parts 21 and 50.55(e).
3. Established a time limit for transferring information from vendors to
purchasers or affected licensees for purposes of performing evaluations
of deviations and determining reportability under Part 21.
4. Established a consistent definition of "defect" in Parts 21 and
5. Established consistent standards for the content of Parts 21 and
November 26, 1991
Page 2 of 2
6. Clarified the definition of "basic component" in Parts 21 and 50.55(e).
7. Clarified the requirements in Parts 21 and 50.55(e) for retaining
8. Established time limits for evaluating potential defects and failures
to comply for Parts 21 and 50.55(e).
9. Established channels of communication for the Parts 21 and 50.55(e)
initial verbal notifications as the NRC Operations Center and for the
Parts 21 and 50.55(e) followup written notifications as the Document
Control Desk, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, D.C.
This information notice requires no specific action or written response. If
you have any questions about the information in this notice, please contact
the technical contact listed below or the appropriate Office of Nuclear
Reactor Regulation (NRR) project manager.
Charles E. Rossi, Director
Division of Operational Events Assessment
Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation
Technical contact: Nancy Campbell, NRR
Attachment: List of Recently Issued NRC Information Notices
Page Last Reviewed/Updated Wednesday, March 24, 2021