Regulations, Guidance, and Communications
On this page:
NRC's regulations are found in Chapter I of Title 10, "Energy," of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Chapter I is divided into Parts 1 through 199. The following are the principal parts governing the nuclear power plant operators.
- Part 50 - Domestic Licensing of Product and Utilization Facilities
- Part 52 - Early Site Permits; Standard Design Certificates; and Combined Licenses for Nuclear Power Plants
- Part 55 - Operator Licensing
See also, information on all NRC Rules and Petitions.
The NRC welcomes Public Involvement in Rulemaking, and invites the public to comment on proposed rules and policies, licensing actions, and draft technical documents. We announce public comment opportunities in the Federal Register and on our Documents for Comment page.
NRC's guidance documents are reviewed on a periodic basis to determine whether they require an update. You may review the update status of these guidance documents by going to the Guidance Document Revisions section of this site.
Regulatory guides (RGs) are issued in ten divisions and are intended to aid licensees in implementing regulations. The guides most applicable to licensing operators are in:
Division 1, Power Reactors
The following guides in these divisions are the ones most relevant to licensed operators.
- RG 1.8 - Qualification and Training of Personnel for Nuclear Power Plants
- RG 1.114 - Guidance to Operators at the Controls and to Senior Operators in the Control Room of a Nuclear Power Unit
- RG 1.134 - Medical Evaluation of Licensed Personnel for Nuclear Power Plants
- RG 1.149 - Nuclear Power Plant Simulation Facilities for Use in Operator License Examinations.
- RG 1.206 - Combined License Applications for Nuclear Power Plant.
Each regulatory guide is listed by division number; title; date issued, and revisions, if applicable. A guide available at this site has an underscored number. Draft regulatory guides are listed separately. Many regulatory guides are available in NRC's Agency Document Access and Management System (ADAMS).
The NRC also publishes reports in the NUREG-series, covering a variety of regulatory, technical, and administrative subjects. The following publications are the ones most relevant to the operator licensing process:
- Operator Licensing Examination Standards for Power Reactors, NUREG-1021, Revision 11, was issued on February 15, 2017. Per 10 CFR 55.40, NUREG-1021, Revision 11, became effective for all examinations administered on or after August 15, 2017.
- Knowledge and Abilities Catalog for Nuclear Power Plant Operators: Pressurized Water Reactors, NUREG-1122. Revision 3 took effect September 25, 2020.
- Knowledge and Abilities Catalog for Nuclear Power Plant Operators: Boiling Water Reactors, NUREG-1123. Revision 3 took effect September 25, 2020.
- Knowledge and Abilities Catalog for Nuclear Power Plant Operators: Westinghouse AP1000 Pressurized-Water Reactors (NUREG-2103) became effective for all examinations that are administered after April, 2012.
- Training Review Criteria and Procedures (NUREG-1220, Revision 1).
- Answers to Questions at Public Meetings Regarding Implementation of Title 10, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 55 on Operators' Licenses (NUREG-1262).
Generic Communications are NRC's primary method of sending information to specific classes of licensees. See our page on Generic Communications Related to Operator Licensing. For information about the types of generic communications see the following.
Page Last Reviewed/Updated Tuesday, March 30, 2021