Mr. Tippana completed his studies of power plant engineering with a Master of Science degree at Lappeenranta University of Technology (LUT) in 1997.
He joined the Finnish Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority in Ma 1996 and has had various positions at STUK during his career. From August 2013 he was appointed as the Director General of STUK - Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority, until February 2024. Before that Mr. Tippana was the Director of the Nuclear Reactor Regulation.
His career history includes active participation in the work of the OECD/NEA, the IAEA and EU. He is the chair of the Committee on Nuclear Regulatory Activities (CNRA) of the OECD/NEA and vice chair of the WENRA. Further Mr. Tippana is a member of
- IAEA Technical Working Group on Nuclear Power Infrastructure,
- European Nuclear Safety Regulators Group (ENSREG),
- Policy Group of Multinational Design Evaluation Programme (MDEP),
- Reactor Safety Advisory Committee of Swedish Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority (SSM),
- WWER Regulators Forum,
- STUK International Ltd. Board, and
- Advisory Committee for National Land Survey Finland
Page Last Reviewed/Updated Friday, July 23, 2021