TH26 Addressing Lessons from 10 CFR Part 52 Licensing Experience
This session will examine lessons and challenges identified during the implementation of licensing activities under Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR) Part 52, “Licenses, Certifications, and Approvals for Nuclear Power Plants,” over the last several years. The discussion will address the following questions:
- Does 10 CFR Part 52 currently enable the most effective, predictable, and efficient reviews?
- Are changes needed? Does NRC guidance support the efficient implementation of 10 CFR Part 52? Is the design certification renewal process adequately defined?
- What lessons have been learned from license amendment requests for plants under construction? Is the preliminary amendment request process sufficient?
- What lessons have been learned from enhanced pre-application interactions and recent acceptance reviews? Have these activities contributed to more predictability in the review schedules? Are the NRC’s current review schedule models sufficient?
Welcome RemarksFrank Akstulewicz, Director, Division of New Reactor Licensing, NRO/NRC
- Anna Bradford, Deputy Director, Division of New Reactor Licensing, NRO/NRC
- Russell Bell, Senior Technical Advisor, Nuclear Energy Institute
- Wesley Alan Sparkman, Licencing Manager, Southern Nuclear Company
- Hansang Kim, Senior Manager, Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power
- Paul A. Russ, Director, Licensing & Regulatory Support, New Plants & Major Projects, Westinghouse Electric Company
- Laurel Bauer, Technical Assistant, Division of New Reactor Licensing, NRO/NRC tel: 301-415-3210, e-mail: Laurel.Bauer@nrc.gov
Page Last Reviewed/Updated Friday, June 09, 2017