T12 Understanding the NRC’s Review and Approval Process for New Fuels
What is the NRC’s regulatory review and approval process for fuels and spent fuel management systems (such as transfer and storage casks)? In this session, stakeholders who are promoting the development and use of fault tolerant, small modular reactors and advanced reactor fuels will come to a common understanding on the NRC’s review and approval process for new fuels. The session will cover what constitutes a quality submittal for a successful NRC review. Attendees may include current and potential reactor licensees, fuel vendors and manufacturers, spent fuel management system manufacturers, national laboratories, and other Federal agencies.
- Welcome RemarksMirela Gavrilas, Deputy Director, Division of Policy and Rulemaking, NRR/NRC
- David A. Petti, Co-National Technical Director, Advanced Reactor Technology Program, Idaho National Laboratory
- John Strumpell, Manager, R&D Fuel U.S. Region, AREVA, Inc.
- Meraj Rahimi, Branch Cheif, Division of Spent Fuel Management, NMSS/NRC
- Jeff Schmidt, Senior Reactor Systems Engineer, Division of Safety Systems and Risk Assessment, NRO/NRC
- Cindy Montgomery, Project Manager, Division of Policy and Rulemaking, NRR/NRC tel: 301-415-3398, e-mail: Cindy.Montgomery@nrc.gov