How to Renew Your Digital ID Certificate
The NRC issues digital IDs from VeriSign with a one year term. You should receive an email message from NRC both two weeks before and one week before your digital ID is scheduled to expire. These email messages will include a link to NRC's Digital ID Center and your Renewal ID Number.
RENEW or ENROLL Again?
You should enroll for a new certificate if your email address or name has changed since your enrollment last year. You should also enroll for a new certificate if you have problems renewing your certificate. Sometimes the renewal process doesn't work correctly. Problems are likely to occur if your PC has been upgraded during the last year. If the RENEW process doesn't work, then just ENROLL for a new certificate using your same name and email address. In this case use the NRC Approval Code of: "RENEWAL". NRC's digital ID certificate administrator will review the records for your name and email address to confirm this is a renewal of a previously approved NRC digital ID certificate. Enroll for a new digital ID by going to NRC's Digital ID Center and choosing the "ENROLL" option. If you choose to ENROLL instead of RENEW and your name or email address change, you may also need to notify the associated NRC program area staff to update their access list(s) to reflect this name and/or email address change.
Steps to Renew Your Digital ID Certificate
(Based on Internet Explorer Version 6.0)
- Electronically highlight and copy the Renewal ID Number from your renewal reminder email message to the clipboard. Depending upon your web browser this Renewal ID Number may not be needed.
- Go to the NRC's Digital ID Center , the easy way is to click on the link to the Digital ID Center's "RENEW" option which is provided in your reminder email. The provided link allows you to skip step 3 below.
- Choose the "RENEW" option in the Digital ID Center.
- Click on the "Renew" button … Ignore the "If information above is correct," message on this screen if no information is displayed above
- Click on the "Renew" button on a pop-up screen which contains your name and certificate dates
- Enter your certificate password as requested
- Click on the "Yes" button if you get the "Potential Scripting Violation" pop-up window. This is a common pop-up message window with Windows XP.
- Click on the "Set Security Level" button
- Set security level high by checking "High" and click on the "Next >" button
- Type in a password twice and click on the "Finish" button
- Click on the "OK" button since your security level is now High
Once your renewal request is approved by the NRC, you will receive an email with instructions for picking up our new digital ID.
For detailed instructions, see NRC's Digital IDs Guide.