An intrusion detection system is intended to notify the site's security force of a potential intruder.
Licensee detection capability addresses the following adversary intrusion tactics:
Perimeter intrusion detection systems include:
- Volumetric systems, such as microwave and some electric field systems
- Volumetric systems detect disturbances of a volume of space
- For a microwave system with separate transmitters and receivers, this space is between the transmitter and the receiver.
- For an electric field sensor, the space parallels the sensor and generator wires.
- The effective detection volume must be sufficiently high and wide to prevent jumping across without detection and sufficiently low to detect someone attempting to crawl beneath it.
- Planar systems, such as fence disturbance and infrared systems, detect disturbances of the geometric plane containing the system elements.
- Security officers
Interior intrusion detection systems include:
- Door mounted balanced magnetic switches
- Interior volumetric systems
- Motion detection closed circuit television