§ 71.14 Exemption for low-level materials.
(a) A licensee is exempt from all the requirements of this part with respect to shipment or carriage of the following low-level materials:
(1) Natural material and ores containing naturally occurring radionuclides that are not intended to be processed for use of these radionuclides, provided the activity concentration of the material does not exceed 10 times the values specified in Appendix A, Table A-2, of this part.
(2) Materials for which the activity concentration is not greater than the activity concentration values specified in Appendix A, Table A-2 of this part, or for which the consignment activity is not greater than the limit for an exempt consignment found in Appendix A, Table A-2, of this part.
(b) A licensee is exempt from all the requirements of this part, other than §§ 71.5 and 71.88, with respect to shipment or carriage of the following packages, provided the packages do not contain any fissile material, or the material is exempt from classification as fissile material under § 71.15:
(1) A package that contains no more than a Type A quantity of radioactive material;
(2) A package transported within the United States that contains no more than 0.74 TBq (20 Ci) of special form plutonium-244; or
(3) The package contains only LSA or SCO radioactive material, provided--
(i) That the LSA or SCO material has an external radiation dose of less than or equal to 10 mSv/h (1 rem/h), at a distance of 3 m from the unshielded material; or
(ii) That the package contains only LSA-I or SCO-I material.