Appendix O to Part 52--Standardization of Design: Staff Review of Standard Designs
This appendix sets out procedures for the filing, staff review and referral to the Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards of standard designs for a nuclear power reactor of the type described in § 50.22 of this chapter or major portions thereof.
1. Any person may submit a proposed preliminary or final standard design for a nuclear power reactor of the type described in § 50.22 to the regulatory staff for its review. Such a submittal may consist of either the preliminary or final design for the entire reactor facility or the preliminary or final design of major portions thereof.
2. The submittal for review of the standard design must be made in the same manner as provided in §§ 50.4 and 50.30 for license applications.
3. The submittal for review of the standard design shall include the information described in §§ 50.33 (a) through (d) of this chapter and the applicable technical information required by §§ 50.34 (a) and (b), as appropriate, and 50.34a of this chapter (other than that required by §§ 50.34(a) (6) and (10), 50.34(b)(1), (6) (i), (ii), (iv), and (v) and 50.34(b) (7) and (8)). The submittal shall also include a description, analysis and evaluation of the interfaces between the submitted design and the balance of the nuclear power plant. With respect to the requirements of §§ 50.34(a)(1) of this chapter, the submittal for review of a standard design shall include the site parameters postulated for the design, and an analysis and evaluation of the design in terms of such postulated site parameters. The information submitted pursuant to § 50.34(a)(7) of this chapter, shall be limted to the quality assurance program to be applied to the design, procurement and fabrication of the structures, systems, and components for which design review has been requested and the information submitted pursuant to § 50.34(a)(9) of this chapter shall be limited to the qualifications of the person submitting the standard design to design the reactor or major portion thereof. The submittal shall also include information pertaining to design features that affect plans for coping with emergencies in the operation of the reactor or major portion thereof.
4. Once the regulatory staff has initiated a technical review of a submittal under this appendix, the submittal will be referred to the Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards (ACRS) for a review and report.
5. Upon completion of their review of a submittal under this appendix, the NRC regulatory staff shall publish in the Federal Register a determination as to whether or not the preliminary or final design is acceptable, subject to such conditions as may be appropriate, and make available at the NRC Web site, http://www.nrc.gov, an analysis of the design in the form of a report. An approved design shall be utilized by and relied upon by the regulatory staff and the ACRS in their review of any individual facility license application which incorporates by reference a design approved in accordance with this paragraph unless there exists significant new information which substantially affects the earlier determination or other good cause.
6. The determination and report by the regulatory staff shall not constitute a commitment to issue a permit or license, or in any way affect the authority of the Commission, Atomic Safety and Licensing Board Panel, and other presiding officers in any proceeding under part 2 of this chapter.
7. Information requests to the approval holder regarding an approved design shall be evaluated prior to issuance to ensure that the burden to be imposed on respondents is justified in view of the potential safety significance of the issue to be addressed in the requested information. Each such evaluation performed by the NRC staff shall be in accordance with 10 CFR 50.54(f) and shall be approved by the Executive Director for Operations or his or her designee prior to issuance of the request.
[54 FR 15386, Apr. 18, 1989, as amended at 61 FR 9902, Mar. 12, 1996; 64 FR 48953, Sept. 9, 1999; 68 FR 58812, Oct. 10, 2003; 69 FR 2279, Jan. 14, 2004]