§ 51.14 Definitions.
(a) As used in this subpart:
Categorical Exclusion means a category of actions which do not individually or cumulatively have a significant effect on the human environment and which the Commission has found to have no such effect in accordance with procedures set out in § 51.22, and for which, therefore, neither an environmental assessment nor an environmental impact statement is required.
Cooperating Agency means any Federal agency other than the NRC which has jurisdiction by law or special expertise with respect to any environmental impact involved in a proposal (or a reasonable alternative) for legislation or other major Federal action significantly affecting the quality of the human environment. By agreement with the Commission, a State or local agency of similar qualifications or, when the effects are on a reservation, an Indian Tribe, may become a cooperating agency.
Council means the Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) established by Title II of NEPA.
DOE means the U.S. Department of Energy or its duly authorized representatives.
Environmental Assessment means a concise public document for which the Commission is responsible that serves to:
(1) Briefly provide sufficient evidence and analysis for determining whether to prepare an environmental impact statement or a finding of no significant impact.
(2) Aid the Commission's compliance with NEPA when no environmental impact statement is necessary.
(3) Facilitate preparation of an environmental impact statement when one is necessary.
Environmental document includes an environmental assessment, an environmental impact statement, a finding of no significant impact, an environmental report and any supplements to or comments upon those documents, and a notice of intent.
Environmental Impact Statement means a detailed written statement as required by section 102(2)(C) of NEPA.
Environmental report means a document submitted to the Commission by an applicant for a permit, license, or other form of permission, or an amendment to or renewal of a permit, license or other form of permission, or by a petitioner for rulemaking, in order to aid the Commission in complying with section 102(2) of NEPA.
Finding of No Significant Impact means a concise public document for which the Commission is responsible that briefly states the reasons why an action, not otherwise excluded, will not have a significant effect on the human environment and for which therefore an environmental impact statement will not be prepared.
NEPA means the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969, as amended (Pub. L. 91-190, 83 Stat. 852, 856, as amended by Pub. L. 94-83, 89 Stat. 424, 42 U.S.C. 4321, et seq.).
Notice of Intent means a notice that an environmental impact statement will be prepared and considered.
Uranium enrichment facility means:
(1) Any facility used for separating the isotopes for uranium or enriching uranium in the isotope 235, except laboratory scale facilities designed or used for experimental or analytical purposes only; or
(2) Any equipment or device, or important component part especially designed for such equipment or device, capable of separating the isotopes of uranium or enriching uranium in the isotope 235.
(b) The definitions in 40 CFR 1508.3, 1508.7, 1508.8, 1508.14, 1508.15, 1508.16, 1508.17, 1508.18, 1508.20, 1508.23, 1508.25, 1508.26, and 1508.27, will also be used in implementing section 102(2) of NEPA.
[49 FR 9381, Mar. 12, 1984, as amended at 57 FR 18391, Apr. 30, 1992]