Regulations, Guidance, and Communications
On this page:
NRC's regulations are found in Chapter I of Title 10, "Energy," of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Chapter I is divided into Parts 1 through 199. The following are the principal parts governing the nuclear power plant operators.
- Part 50 - Domestic Licensing of Product and Utilization Facilities
- Part 52 - Early Site Permits; Standard Design Certificates; and Combined Licenses for Nuclear Power Plants
- Part 55 - Operator Licensing
In addition, the NRC Regulatory Agenda (NUREG-0936) is a semiannual compilation of brief descriptions of all rulemaking actions.
The NRC welcomes Public Involvement in Rulemaking, and invites the public to comment on proposed rules and policies, licensing actions, and draft technical documents. Toward that end, the agency announces public comment opportunities in the Federal Register, on our Documents for Comment page, and sometimes through news releases. To comment on a proposed rule or petition for rulemaking, please e-mail Rulemaking.Comments@nrc.gov or see Regulations.gov.
NRC's guidance documents are reviewed on a periodic basis to determine whether they require an update. You may review the update status of these guidance documents by going to the Guidance Document Revisions section of this site.
Regulatory guides (RGs) are issued in ten divisions and are intended to aid licensees in implementing regulations. The guides most applicable to licensing operators are in:
Division 1, Power Reactors
The following guides in these divisions are the ones most relevant to licensed operators.
- RG 1.8 - Qualification and Training of Personnel for Nuclear Power Plants
- RG 1.114 - Guidance to Operators at the Controls and to Senior Operators in the Control Room of a Nuclear Power Unit
- RG 1.134 - Medical Evaluation of Licensed Personnel for Nuclear Power Plants
- RG 1.149 - Nuclear Power Plant Simulation Facilities for Use in Operator License Examinations.
- RG 1.206 - Combined License Applications for Nuclear Power Plant.
Each regulatory guide is listed by division number; title; date issued, and revisions, if applicable. A guide available at this site has an underscored number. Draft regulatory guides are listed separately. Many regulatory guides are available in NRC's Agency Document Access and Management System (ADAMS).
The NRC also publishes reports in the NUREG-series, covering a variety of regulatory, technical, and administrative subjects. The following publications are the ones most relevant to the operator licensing process:
- Operator Licensing Examination Standards for Power Reactors ( NUREG-1021) - Revision 9, became officially effective on February 18, 2005. Supplement 1 to Revision 9 will become effective for all examinations that are administered after April 16, 2008, but may be used before then on a voluntary basis
- Knowledge and Abilities Catalog for Nuclear Power Plant Operators: Pressurized Water Reactors, Revision 2 (NUREG-1122). Supplement 1 to Revision 2 will become effective for all examinations that are administered after April 16, 2008, but may be used before then on a voluntary basis.
- Knowledge and Abilities Catalog for Nuclear Power Plant Operators: Boiling Water Reactors, Revision 2 (NUREG-1123). Supplement 1 to Revision 2 will become effective for all examinations that are administered after April 16, 2008, but may be used before then on a voluntary basis.
- Training Review Criteria and Procedures, Revision 1 (NUREG-1220).
Generic Communications are NRC's primary method of sending information to specific classes of licensees. See our page on Generic Communications Related to Operator Licensing. For information about the types of generic communications see the following.