Home > Nuclear Materials > Source Material Facilities > Revising Regulations > Jurisdictional Working Group > Meeting Summary 09/20
Meeting Summary: Part 40 Jurisdictional Working Group
September 20-21, 2000
|Chia Chen||US DOL, OSHAfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Gary Comfort||US NRCemail@example.com|
|Jean-Claude Dehmel||US NRCfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Diane Flack||US NRC, Office of Chairmanemail@example.com|
|Betsy Forinash||US EPAfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Cathy Haney||US NRC, Com. McGaffigan email@example.com|
|Brian Hearty||US Army Corp of Engineersfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Patricia Holahan||US NRCemail@example.com|
|Amir Kouhestani||US NRCfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Catherine Mattsen||US NRCemail@example.com|
|Andrea McLaughlin||US DOI, BLM||202-452-7717||Andrea_McLaughlin@blm.gov|
|Henry Morton||Morton Associatesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Harold Peterson||US DOEemail@example.com|
|Kathleen Schneider||US NRCfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Maria Schwartz||US NRCemail@example.com|
|Loren Setlow||US EPAfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Charles Simmons||Kilpatrick Stocktonemail@example.com|
|Dennis Sollenberger||US NRCfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Linda Suttora||US NRCemail@example.com||Kenneth Weaver||CO DPHE||303-692-3058||Kenneth.Weaver@state.co.us|
|Alexander Williams||US DOE||301-903-8149||Alexander.Williams@em.doe.gov|
- Introduction by Patricia Holahan, Chief, Rulemaking and Guidance Branch, IMNS, NMSS, NRC
- Following discussions of objectives, deliverables, and other background material, meeting centered on current and planned regulations by State and Federal agencies. Working group members agreed to write-up a synopsis of the regulations for their agencies for dissemination to the group and inclusion in the status report.
- A short discussion of the working group charter was held on 9/20 and a longer group reworking of the charter was conducted on 9/21. Final draft charter was proposed to be sent to working group members on 9/27.
- A discussion of risks associated with low-activity source material
was held. The types of risks of these materials were identified as:
- Processes For Workers (worker risk)
- Legacy Materials (mostly environmental and public risk)
- Public and Occupational Exposure (public risks)
- consumer products
- products meant to contain source material vs. rare earth or mineral products
- waste disposal
Regulatory Options Discussion
- Over the remaining time, the working group discussed the regulatory options for low-activity source material. The State representative indicated that the States would most like low-activity source material regulations to be National, consistent requirements.
- The Attachment 2, Options Paper to SECY-99-259 was used as the basis for discussions and additional options were identified by the group. The working group members were requested to provide comments on the Options Paper in order to begin the assessment of the regulatory option(s) that the working group would likely recommend as preferred. Additional options were identified by the group and include: an enhanced Agreement State option (exemption vs. preemption, where States are not excluded from being more restrictive) and Executive Order which designates additional responsibilities for agencies under AEA and implemented through MOU(s)
- The regulatory options were divided into 3 categories, those which would: reduce NRC authority, delegate NRC authority to other parties, or expand NRC regulation.
- The methodology for implementing the regulatory options were discussed. In addition, the following questions were discussed regarding each possible regulatory option:
- Would this option result in any gaps in implementation?
- Would this result in a unified risk informed approach among agencies?
- What, actions, if any, need to be taken in order to allow other agencies the authority to regulate all or portions of the low activity source material?
- The next step for the working group will be to prioritize the regulatory options and identify which options should continue to be pursued as realistic and which should be omitted from further consideration. In order to begin to accomplish that goal, the working group members will provide to the Chair of the working group:
- Citations of Authorities of oversight of regulatory material from each agency
- Comments on SECY-99-259 Options Paper Attachment 2.
- With this information provided in these comments and citations of existing regulatory authorities, a draft status report will be sent to the working group members for discussion at the October 5th teleconference meeting.
- September 25, 2000 - Comments on Final Draft Charter (complete)
- September 29, 2000 - Each Agency provide citations of authorities of oversight of source material
- September 29, 2000 - Comments on SECY-99-259 Options Paper
- October 3, 2000 - Rough Draft Status Report for conference call.
October 5, 2000
1:30 pm est
Telephone Number 301-231-5539, passcode: 5389#
Page Last Reviewed/Updated Thursday, March 29, 2012