Ford Nuclear Reactor (University of Michigan)
1.0 Site Identification
|Type of Site:||Research and Test Reactor Facility|
|Project Manager:||Ted Smith|
2.0 Site Status Summary
The construction of the Ford Nuclear Reactor (FNR), located in the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory (PML), began in 1956. The PML is a four story, reinforced concrete building. The FNR and PML are located on the North Campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
The reactor was a 2 Megawatt (MW), open pool reactor facility. After the initial startup of the FNR in 1957, the reactor ceased operations on July 3, 2003. The FNR is de-fueled. The decommissioning plan for the FNR was approved on June 26, 2006. FNR is currently undergoing decommissioning. University of Michigan has not submitted a complete Final Status Survey Plan.
3.0 Major Technical or Regulatory Issues
4.0 Estimated Date For Closure