Spectrulite Consortium (State of Illinois)
This site description was provided by the cognizant Agreement State, and the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) makes no claim regarding the validity of the information provided. See our Site Disclaimer for more information.
1.0 Site Identification
|Type of Site:||Complex Decommissioning Site|
2.0 Site Status Summary
The Spectrulite Consortium, Inc. facility is a magnesium-thorium casting company. The buildings of the facility, originally built in the 1940's, also processed aluminum and steel and total nearly 32 acres under roof.
The facility was originally owned by Dow Chemical, Phelps-Dodge, and Canalco. Previous owners also processed thorium in their metal rolling processes and did some work extruding uranium. After Spectrulite took possession of the buildings, the outside disposal area was cleaned up by Conalco in 992. Much of the indoor contamination was related to deposits on overhead rafters 35 to 65 feet above the floor. Portions of the buildings were designated in the FUSRAP program and remediated by a contractor hired by the Corps of Engineers in 2000. Decontamination of the rafters, dross storage and isolated outdoor areas have been completed. Decommissioning criteria was based on concentration-based Agency guidelines for release for unrestricted use. Confirmatory surveys and sampling were performed by Agency staff. Pending submittal of final certifications and cost recovery fees by the company, the license will be terminated.
3.0 Major Technical or Regulatory Issues
No outstanding issues.